Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Single Red Rose Christmas

As in my previous post, Christmas is a dreaded time of year for most single mothers. We hardly look upon this holiday with joy and anticipation. So, imagine my surprise one Christmas when I heard the doorbell ring and walked out to find a single red rose tied to my door knob. There was no card. There was no delivery person to question. It was just a single red rose. It took me years to get the person who sent it to admit what he had done. Even so, it brightened my mood and made me realize that I wasn't alone at Christmas time trying to make the holiday a good one for my kid who would probably be swept away to my ex's anyway, leaving me to celebrate the holiday without the one thing I cherished the most, my daughter. Christmas doesn't really evoke love and joy in the hearts of single mothers. But, that year it was different for me because I realized that someone saw my struggle and in that one flower I felt loved.

So, if you don't know how to help a single mother this year who is struggling through Christmas. Forget about the toys for the kids. She's taken care of that. Instead, leave her a gift basket of flowers or goodies for herself - ANONYMOUSLY. Why? Because it makes her feel like the whole world cares about her and that she's not alone. You can even take advantage of online flower delivery if you feel bashful telling the clerk to make it anonymous. They will deliver the same day for baskets designed in your local floral shops. Whether you are giving a single mother at work or in your family a gift of flowers this Christmas, remember Dot flowers for your bouquet and gift basket needs. You can even combine the flowers with cookies, candies, and treats in a gift basket with their wide assortment of premade gift basket options.

No comments: