Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Are Online Foreign Dating Services Going Too Far?

Let me first say that my mother met my father through a penpal service before the Internet was even invented. Back then, when a woman of a foreign country wanted to emigrate to the U.S., there were still companies, like this penpal service that put military men in contact with woman looking to marry a U.S. citizen. There you go! My mother married my father, and now I am a U.S. citizen.

So, I can't say that I think it's a bad idea. I think women who want to do this should have the option to do it. However, some people feel it is exploiting women. I think maybe the ads for the dating sites are exploitive but the intent is not.

For instance, according to www.loversplanet.com their service to date russian woman is all about the way russian women are more subservient and pleasing to men, more family oriented etc. etc. They suggest Russian brides are loving, tender and devoted to a relationship. And, of course, they all look like models and are well-educated to boot. They claim each year millions of men from US, Canada and Australia meet, marry and admire brides from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and other countries of Eastern Europe. Yes, the ads are quite demeaning, I think to women. But, it is true that many women find suitable mates in countries where the standard of living is higher and they get better opportunities in life because of it.

So, who is to blame? The women who want to find a way to improve their lives? The advertisers who are appealing to men frantic to find a wife? Or is this just a case of the market meeting a need and selling its services. You decide.

No comments: