Sunday, December 03, 2006

Buddhism Stereotypes

Buddhism is a male-dominated religion. It's said the Buddha didn't really care to initiate women into his revelations until someone finally convinced him to do so. Either way, when I study Buddhism it amazes me how many metaphors they use that lean towards a male ideal. I was asked recently to discuss what I thought unconditional love was all about. I said the closest thing I can think of that we experience is that love of a mother for a daughter. I wasn't the only one that suggested that mothers are the ones who exhibit unconditional love and people just don't feel the same way about their fathers. Some suggested it was because their fathers put conditions on their love and approval, whereas their mothers always accepted them however they were and with whatever they chose to do.

I was a bit surprised then to find out that this seems to be a little of a sticking point with Buddhists. They're only too willing to call a spiritual person a "warrior" and talk about bravery and fighting the good fight, but when it comes to compassion, all of a sudden the terms used are gender neutral. Someone even said it isn't about mothers, it's about "parents who love their only children." Excuse me, it is totally about MOTHERS. It isn't about fathers and let's quit pretending it is. Nowadays, I find more and more men who might qualify for being a "good mother" and this is wonderful! But, they are still by and large, very few.

No comments: