Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Women and Car Dealers

My lease is up. The first time I went to the car dealership I took my brother-in-law. Frankly, I know nothing about car dealerships and I didn't want to be taken advantage of. Well, since then, I've figure out some things. Finance isn't that hard. Actually, financing a car is pretty simple. It's financing it through a dealership that is complex. I think what kept me from looking at this issue more are the two words: car and finance. Let's face it, women aren't taught to be interested in cars. We really could care less how the car runs, we just want it to work. As for finance, just let us know what the monthly bill is.

Well, I have mended my ways. In the years, I owned my leased car I have had an education in car maintenance and finance. Ladies, I am going to tell you all something that will save you oodles of money. Find yourself a car mechanice you trust. It's that simple. They are out there. How do you know you can trust them? The first time they tell you, you need this and that, kindly take your car out and get a second opinion. I'm serious. It costs you more the first time around but if they are right, take it back to the first person and have them do the work. You found yourself a decent car mechanic. Anytime, they ask for anything extravagant, take your car out and have it inspected somewhere else. And, please, the last place you want to take your car is the dealership - unless the work is being paid for under your warranty.

As for finance, just know three things: interst rate, balance, and term. That's it. It's really very simple. What is the interest rate on the loan. What is the balance paid on the loan. And how long do you have to pay it for? Then, get a second and third quote. Find yourself a bank or lender you can trust. You will save yourself megabucks.

That's it for now!

No comments: